Friday, September 24, 2004

Testimony

Dear Reader:

I must apologize beforehand. I have a tendency to be too serious and often long-winded. I'm working on not being so. I also have a tendency to be a bit corny at times (and lame jokes are not far behind.) But, hey, I figure that's what makes me unique!

Anyway, this is my first blog. Not quite sure what I have to talk about or, more accurately, what to write about, but I'm sure inspiration will come eventually. Though she is taking her sweet time... oh, well. Only time will tell!


I guess I should start with my story:

I was born and raised in the Dallas area. I'm the eldest of three kids. My two siblings are Thomas, a sophmore at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania, and Susan, a freshman at Richland College. I had a fairly normal childhood, though I did struggle in school a lot and had to deal with some family issues (who hasn't?). Yet, unbeknownst to my family, I suffered from depression for many years and even had thoughts of suicide, but even though many times I felt completely alone, I know now that I was never alone. Though I did not know it at the time, there was Someone who was watching over me, and He loved me so much that He refused to leave me alone.

When I failed two classes in 7th grade, it was discovered that I had a learning difference. After going to Sylvan Learning Center for eight weeks, my grades dramatically improved as well as my self-esteem, but I still felt like there was a giant aching hole inside of my heart that I did not know how to fill. In the summer of 1994, my mom found the Heights Baptist Church and my family started attending. For the longest time, I thought church was stupid and boring, but the first sermon I heard amazed me. I remember sitting in the pew in stunned silence as Pastor Ron explained how that "The Lord's Prayer" was not just a prayer, but that it was an instruction manuel on "How to Pray." I grew up going to a Methodist church and, even though I slept through most of the sermons, I had never heard that before. That just blew my mind, but what impressed me most about the Heights was the overwhelming kindness and genuineness of Pastor Ron, the church staff, and especially my Sunday school teachers.

The most important decision I ever made was during the summer of 1995. It was during the last night of Camp Fish (a youth beach retreat in Florida), the speaker, Voddie Bauchan, started taking about what Jesus Christ, God's only Son, actually went through the day He died. If you've seen "The Passion of the Christ," you'll know exactly what I'm taking about. The speaker left no medical detail out... from the horrific, brutal beating, to having to carry His cross through the streets of Jerusalem, to being nailed to the cross, and then what He went through while hanging from it. I couldn't stop the tears from running down my cheeks. It was that night that I finally realized that what Jesus chose to go through... was for me... that should have been me. He took my punishment. My sins had separated my from a perfect, holy God, but "God so loved the world (you and me) that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16) Jesus died on that cross so that I could be reconciled to God. Not only had Jesus paid my sin debt, but He also proved that He now had power over sin and death when He rose up from the dead on the third day. The speaker told us that all we had to do was to admit your a sinner, believe that Jesus is Lord, and confess your sins. "For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved." (Romans 10:9-10) So, that night I prayed, asked God to forgive me of my sins, and asked Jesus to come into my heart, to be the Lord and Savior of my life.

I won't lie to you. When you become a follower of Christ, you are not guarenteed instant gratification or an easy life. There will be hard times and pain, but the blessings you will receive will be too numerous to count. Just to name a few: You are guarenteed that Jesus will give you His Holy Spirit, to dwell inside of you and to be your constant companion. "He will not abandon you" (Deuteronomy 4:31), and "He will never fail you nor forake you." (Deut. 31:8) He will give you "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding." (Philippians 4:7) You can have a personal, love relationship with the God of the Universe, your perfect Heavenly Father. You are promised that you are not an accident. He created you and know everything about you. (Psalm 139) You were planned by God for a wonderful purpose! (Jeremiah 29:11) You'll also be entrusted as one of Christ's ambassadors (2 Corinthians 5:20) to tell others about the Good News of Jesus Christ, and to top it all off, you are guarenteed that you'll spend eternity in Heaven with God when you die.

As I look back on my life, I don't know how I lived a single day without Jesus, but I am so thankful that He didn't give up on me and still doesn't give up on me. And guess what? He hasn't given up on you either!


3 comments:

Katharsis said...

A true believer, as I can tell by your testimony. I got here from you posting on my site. I just noticed it tonight (or rather, this morning :)). I just want to encourage you and applaud you for publicizing your testimony to anyone who may come across it on the web. Hmm...maybe I should do the same sometime. We'll see. :)

Romi said...

Wendy,
my blogspot address is: romiuncovered.blogspot.com
is not romi_uncovered anymore
Thanks
Bye

Melissa said...

Wendy,

Your posts are very interesting. I struggle with religious issues, because I was raised mainly agnostic and non-denominational Christian. I think it is great that your faith has sustained you and that your testimony is so inspirational.

--Melissa