Saturday, July 31, 2010

Star Trek: Next Generation









Ever since the very first episode, I have been a big fan of Star Trek: Next Generation! For years, I alone in my family have enjoyed my trekkiness, but no longer... my little sister, Susan, has finally discovered the awesomeness of Next Gen!

It all started when she watched an episode of the Family Guy where the main character goes to a Sci-fi convention and finds a way to build an actual working transporter; he then uses it to transport the entire cast of Next Gen to his house and spends the day with them. There is a particular scene where they are all driving in a van, and the actors begin to complain that they are hungry. Suddenly Will Wheaton sees a burger joint. He puts both hands on the passenger window and gazes out with excitement and exclaims, "I want a hamburger, no, a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog, and a milk shake, and a..." Suddenly, Patrick Stewart slams Wheaton's head against the glass to shut him up, and declares in his refined English accent, "You'll get nothing and like it!"

My sister cracked up, but it puzzled her as to "why" it was so funny. She knew there was a back story to all of the interpersonal jokes in the show, but she did not understand them. So, when summer break rolled around, my little sister made my heart leap with joy when she asked, "Wendy, I'd like to watch the Star Trek: Next Generation series." I've never been so proud!

Through the wonder of Netflix, we have been able to get through Season 1 and 2, and we are now in the middle of Season 3. Tonight, we finished our even with the episode, "Deje Q" and I had to share a wonderful quote from the show:

While Captain Picard and his crew are trying to assist an alien race with a moon that is on a collision course with their planet, a rather annoying, arrogant, and very powerful alien called "Q" (played by John de Lancie) gets exiled by his race, and dropped aboard the Starship as a mortal human, much to the irritation of the captain and his crew. Picard believes that Q is behind the moon's abnormal course, and Q claims that he is innocent and powerless. The discussion becomes more heated when Picard demands...



Picard: Return that moon to its orbit.


Q: I have no powers! Q, the ordinary.


Picard: Q, the liar. Q, the misanthrope.


Q: Q, the miserable. Q, the desperate. What must I do to convince you people?


Worf: Die.





Worf (played by Michael Dorn) saying that one simple word, completely straight-faced, and never raising his voice, was brilliant! It made my sister and I crack up. It was stinkin' hilarious!!! Just wanted to share that very humorous moment. It will be one of many. Have I mentioned that I love Next Gen? = )





Well, until next time... two seasons down, and five more to go... to boldly go where no one has gone before.


No comments: