Saturday, April 29, 2006

What's to fear?

Everyone has fears. Some are rational, and others are not so rational. And anyone who tries to tell you that they aren't afraid of anything is a liar. What they probably mean is that there are things that they are afraid of, but they have worked to overcome their fears. The fears are still there, but it's how we react to our fears that is the key.

Like many others out there, I'm a fan of ER. Besides the drama, I am fascinated by the medical side of the TV Show. The lingo (the 27-letter words that I can't pronounce, much less understand what they mean) and the procedures (shocking someone, CPR, etc.) always intrigue me. But there is always one part that I don't like to watch. It's when they have to inject someone with a needle. For as long as I can remember I have never liked needles and have a small fear of them. I don't know why really, I just don't like them.

I do think it's kind of ironic, however, that God would make me have O negative (O-) blood (i.e. universal donor, my blood type can be given to anyone of any blood type, except O+). The next time you watch ER, listen closely whenever some poor victim comes in and they need to do emergency surgery. I guarentee that one of the doctors will call out, "Get me some O-neg or type-specific..." I know that giving blood is important. With one donation, you can save 3 people! That's just amazing to me, and it's also good for your body. By having old blood withdrawn, you are forcing your body to create new blood. That's a good thing! What I find ironic and very annoying is that God would give me blood that is beneficial to others, and yet I would be afraid of needles.

During one of my semesters at Quad C, I saw our college was having a blood drive. I had never given blood before, and for some reason I was feeling rather brave that day; so I decided that I would face my fear and give blood. I probably should have done some more reading up on the matter before jumping right in, but that's what I get for being spontaneous. To make a long story short (I know, too late!), I gave blood right after lunch, but I hadn't eatten enough. I was informed by one of the nurses that I'm a slow bleeder (I took longer to give than most other people), and after I gave, a friend was getting me some juice and a snack and all of a sudden, I fainted. Fortunately, another friend of mine was there to catch me. I was ok after a little while; only my pride was wounded.

You live and you learn... (or so the song says...)
This Saturday was the 3rd time that I have given blood. It wasn't planned. The ladies of our Sunday school class met for brunch at Into My Garden, and when I pulled into the side parking lot, I noticed that there was a Carter Blood Care van next to one of the shops. Suddenly the Holy Spirit asked me, "Why don't you give blood after the brunch?" My initial thought was not today, but instead I responded, "Well, maybe." After a great brunch with the girls, I was heading straight for my car, when I felt myself make a small left turn, and the next thing I know, I'm standing in the doorway of the Carter van with a nice man pointing me towards the registration table. Apparently, the Holy Spirit took me up on my "maybe"...
Fortunately, I did not faint this time (and I didn't my 2nd time either). But instead of fainting, I have picked up a new trend... crying. Both my 2nd & 3rd time, I was completely fine up until they were about to stick the needle in my arm. Then tears start streaming down my cheeks. I cannot tell you how much this irritates me. I get so mad at myself for being such a wuss. Both times, the prick hasn't been painful. Yeah, it stings, but not like my arm's been riped off or something.
Not only that, but I feel bad for the nurse. My nurse today was so sweet. She apologized several times cause she thought she had hurt me. I reassured her as I'm dabbing my watery eyes that it's not her; it's me. And to make matters worse, I can't cry with dignity. I admire those who can; unfortunately I was not blessed with that talent.

So, what do you do? My opinion of needles has not changed. I still don't like them, but despite my fear, I will press on. I will continue to give blood because I know that I am being obedient to and honoring God by facing my fear. Jesus said, "And the King will tell them, 'I assure you, when you did it [i.e. any selfless deed] to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'"

I just want to encourage you; if you are struggling with a fear, do not lose heart. Jesus knows what your going through. He experienced fears too, but He faced them and came out victorious. He promises the same for you. "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (2 Tim. 1:7)
I read a book once called, If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat by John Ortberg. Facing our fears are not easy and sometimes not without pain, but God will make us stronger and bless us for trusting in Him. "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)

No comments: