Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Never a good time

Have you ever noticed that it's rare to find a good time to do anything?

-- You have a gigantic load of dirty clothes, very few clean ones, and you know that laundry MUST be done, but your entire day and weekend are booked solid.

-- You know that you really need to get your new car registration sticker on you car. You have it sitting on your desk, but something always seems to come up and by the time you have time to do it, it's too dark outside.

-- You have your gym membership and have the desire to have that lean, toned body that you always wanted, especially with summer coming up, and... eek!... bathing suit season (shudder...), but something always comes up and disrupts your ideal exercise schedule.

-- You desire to be close to the Lord and deepen your relationship with Jesus Christ. You know that the easiest way to accomplish this is to spend time with Him by reading His Word and praying, among other important spiritual disciplines... BUT "something" always comes up or distracts you. For all your "good intentions," it's just never a good time.

Have you ever felt that way? Have you ever thought, 'If I only had some more time?' or 'I don't have enough time today, but maybe tomorrow.' If you have, you're not alone. Many Christians (myself included) have struggled with this and are still struggling.
Friday night, after going to see AQ's play, I eventually got home and I began to feel kind of lethargic. I haven't felt close to God in a long while and I don't have the same joy in my heart that I remember having. "What is wrong with me?" I asked myself.
That's when God turned on the light bulb... "You can do nothing APART from ME!"
I had to admit that I haven't been consistent in my quiet times or prayer life. No wonder I didn't feel like myself. God's Word is the bread of life and I've been starving myself, just trying to live off of "spiritual snacks" (ie. going to church, ABF, ladies Bible study, etc.) but my private time with the Lord is what is most important to Him.

He also reminded me that "stuff" will ALWAYS "come up." The enemy will do whatever he can to distract us, whether it's temptation, our own flesh-desires, deadlines, kids, you name it.... Satan doesn't want us to be close to God, thus becoming more like our Savior. Satan wants us to stay stagnent, indifferent, luke-warm, apathetic, and ineffective in this world. But God says NO!

Though life can be busy and hectic at times, that is still no excuse. Jesus says that we can accomplish NOTHING if we are apart from Him. We cannot bear fruit if we are separated from the Vine. God knows that life is not always easy, but He also says that if we want to be more like Jesus, then we HAVE to make HIM our first priority.
Satan may try to tell you...
It's never gonna be a good time to pray.
It's never gonna be a good time to read your Bible.
It's never gonna be a good time to fast.
It's never gonna be a good time to exercise.
It's never gonna be a good time to eat healthy.
It's never gonna be a good time to go to bed on time.
It's never gonna be a good time to tithe.
It's never gonna be a good time to witness to your unsaved friend.

Then what do you do?
Well, God then suggests the unthinkable... give up some activities and/or reschedule your schedule. Just as you would write in your calender "Volunteer with ______" or "Go see movie with ______," don't you think God wants to be on your calender as well?

I challenge you (and myself) to make sure that you are daily: in the Word for at least 15 minutes (letting God speak to you) and "on your knees" in prayer (allowing yourself to talk to God).

"I will hide Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You."

No comments: